PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using your own kit against you.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2013, 19:02
Easy Street

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Back in the days when they still taught IP-to-target runs on EFT, a generous QFI let me choose my own target for a Midlands navex, so I chose the Daventry VOR. On the 1:50k it just appeared as 'Beacon', and on the LFC there was nothing to give it away (this was also before JTIDS avoids appeared around DMEs). I had no idea what it looked like, but figured I would covertly dial it in as a back-up in case my 'proper' technique failed. Confidence was high approaching the IP as the radial came in and the range started counting down! Passing the IP I saw the enormous circular beacon ahead... surely I must be rumbled, I thought... but either the QFI had no idea what a VOR looked like, or he was humouring me expertly.

Got a '5' for the IP-tgt, happy days! Never understood why my fellow students, given the choice, chose phone boxes and the like... a kill's a kill during flying training!

P.S. Just in case you thought that TACAN was all about holding procedures and OAT routes across Europe, have a read of this: Battle of Lima Site 85 for some real navaid-directed bombing!

Last edited by Easy Street; 1st Mar 2013 at 19:11.