PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freight pilot in sex case
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2013, 00:47
Clyde Crashcup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BR

Well, apart from him and every other paedaphile being put in a box - alive or dead - some solution will have to be found. Realistically, the death penalty or life imprisonment are not going to happen anytime soon.
But it seems there are few viable treatments in sight.

In Seville's case, he's got a gift for self delusion and an ingrained manipulative habit that make any sort of effective behavioral treatment very unlikely. But whatever the reason for offending, be it nature or nurture or what have you, (and there are cases to be made for both, largely depending on the individual as well as things like head injuries and other mind-bending physical causes like drug abuse) the primary concern has to be keeping people around him safe, - be it via chemical control, electronic tagging or some other means. I doubt many people would have a problem with this, even 'tree-huggers', many of whom have children too!
Incidentally, to the person who equated coddling paedophiles with tree-huggers, I have this to say - Phhhhhtttt.

Whatever the origins of this problem, the emphasis has to shift from "string 'em up" (a sentiment I share, by the way) towards stopping it once and for all. Incidentally, I was with Seville once when a story about paedophiles was in the news and he condemned the guy roundly. If I recall correctly, he said in his usual creepy, unconvincing way that 'people like that should be strung up'.

The near constant stream of news stories and prosecutions seem to do little to stem the tide. I suppose the sort of thinking that allows this shift into a world where the perpetrator believes it's all right to behave in this way also allows them to believe they'll avoid the consequences. In some cases, maybe they're even inviting those consequences. When you look at his particular mess, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he deliberately went into crash and burn mode. This idiot was on bail for a similar crime when he was nailed in the sting, after all.
In other words - punishment may be an ineffective deterrent in many cases.
So - screw revenge, as satisfying as it may be. What's needed is whatever it takes to stop this. The offenders don't matter, their victims do. It simply has to be whatever works.

ER

Last edited by Clyde Crashcup; 1st Mar 2013 at 01:03.