PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TR malfunctions for beginners - a refresher lesson!
Old 28th Feb 2013, 19:50
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
TC,

You are mixing up the argument. The question was about what happens if the engine is not driving the Tail Rotor following the other failure.

My response was to say that if the engine was no longer running....then there would be no Torque to counter act as it would be with the engine running.

Yes, maneuvering without a tail rotor is awkward and yes....at the bottom when you decelerate the nose of the aircraft is going to want to move to one side but that can be minimized by applying a bit of Collective.

Yes....if the engine is running....leave it running on the 350 and 206....but that was not the question as I recall.

Tail Rotor failures are not the bugger bear some folks make them out to be.....but that is due to way too many folks having no real certain grasp of how their aircraft responds in unusual circumstances like tail rotor failures.

The tendency these days is to discuss over a cup of Tea and not get out and do the drills that used to be normal fare. Our growing tendency to be "Risk Adverse" is not necessarily a good thing in all regards.

I remember being told of a conversation by the owner of a company I worked for as a TRE/IRE.....which stemmed from his seeing one of his BO-105's spinning around a fair old rate....as it passed by the office window that overlooked our practice area. As he spilled his Tea thinking something was seriously amiss.....he make a query to the Chief Pilot along the lines of "What the Hell is going on!" or other mild words to that effect. The CP never looked up and said....."Sasless is discussing Torque Control with Hose Nose." (Hose Nose was the Pilot's Nickname.).

I did have the benefit of US Army training back during a period of time where we got lots of practice in Tail Rotor failures and EOL's....as upon graduation from Flight School we were almost assured to need those skills in our first operational assignment. I lucked out and wound up in Chinooks where we did not even discuss Tail Rotor failures for simple reasons.

On all of my check rides under the UK system.....not once did we do a Tail Rotor failure drill....and when asked if there was anything I would like to do at the end of a check.....not one TRE ever took me up on a request to do some Tail Rotor Drills.

That kind of situation does not lend itself to building any Monkey Skills that would be very useful in coping with a real Tail Rotor Failure.