PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk Rudder
Thread: Hawk Rudder
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2013, 14:25
RetiredBA/BY

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
May I ask some further Hawk questions:
Do Hawk rudders (both the manual rudder with trim tab and the Australian type Hawk , no trim tab, so presumably hyd. powered)have any mass balance and if so where is it mounted ?

Where is the balance point of the stab, in relation to the pivot axis ?

What is the real reason for the use of dome headed rivets on the rear fuselage skinning. (Aerodynamic, or structural - just curious.

The reason for asking those questions is that I am completing a 1/3 scale model of the Hawk T1 with a 50 pound thrust gas turbine and some other builders of this model have experienced rudder flutter and poor pitch control possibly due to insufficient servo power to the stab. And I am trying to determine the optimum balance point of the stab an adding the appropriate mass in the leading edge root.

I have done everything possible to eliminate rudder flutter (except mass balance) including the anti-buzz strip on the trailing edge, but any help on this and any other of the points I have raised would be gratefully received.

Finally, long after leaving the RAF, I cadged two trips in a Hawk at Valley, and as an ex JP QFI and having flown the Vampire T11 and the Gnat ( plus the Valiant, Victor and Canberra, I was incredibly impressed by this superb aeroplane.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 28th Feb 2013 at 14:29.