PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of the Fabulous 500.
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2013, 11:49
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah .. the flying egg, the angry bumble bee .. the little bird!

I first flew the 500 in 1982 in Brasil and was intrigued by the contrast in feel between it and the 206.

I initially bemocked its 'vibrating' cyclic as it shimmied from the feedback of its muted linkage to the main rotor but .. a few years later (in Papua New Guinea) I came to admire the craft when I was able to put it through its paces during hundreds of hours of mineral exploration support, inserting and extracting geological teams into insufferably modest landing areas along various mountainside streams and creeks.

For such work, which invariably involved passenger access and egress while hovering .. typically with one skid balanced on a boulder (and this usually after having 'weaved' the aircraft through several layers of jungle canopy to reach the stream) the 500 was indisputable 'king' with its crisp responsiveness which allowed for precision manoeuvrability.

The screeching transmission just behind your shoulder, constant compassion for your rear seat passengers and a slightly quick rate of descent during autos were all forgiven when a heavy-footed geologist jumped onto the skid and the craft responded with alacrity to the counter.

Unquestionably the most 'fun' helicopter I've ever flown.

A youthful Savoia aboard Votec Hughes 500D PT-HPC at Aeroporto de Macaé, Brasil, in 1982

ps: Adam: Agreed. The 76 is still the sleekest of the girls although from its lines one can see that the Bell 525 is trying to copy her style.

pps: If anyone is attending Heli Expo and happens upon the scenario described by Ian Corrigible .. please take a couple of photos and post them on PPRuNe!
The following users liked this post: