PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2013, 07:46
Walnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tech, I agree with your analysis. but as a commercial pilot of 36yrs & 20K hrs I thought I would look more deeply at what is still a fine a/c.
Multiple failures of systems are a pilots worst nightmare & the Hudson river incident would not have been successful if the Capt had not pre-empted the cck list & started the Apu.
I see the flying controls have 3 hydraulic systems, with the centre electrically powered, so with a double engine failure it is essential to start the APU, (from the battery)? I appreciate the windmilling engines should provide some output of both electrical & hydraulics but again the pilot is faced with pressurisation problems (High Techs) and how to restart engines at 40000ft without electrical power.
I note that the a/c needs 2 GPUs to provide engine starting, I have been to numerous outstations where you are lucky to get even one doubtful unit.
Boeing have said this a/c is a game changer, I agree, but it is very complex, and as such I can see lots of down line problems.