PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2013, 17:10
alogobotur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Lonewolf

Thnx for answering my questions. Firstly, I don't know why I can not quote posts, maybe because I am new here.

I started to read final report, but it is very massive text, and it takes a lot of time to read it. Not to mention that I am not an expert, and that report contains a lot of "strange" words for me.
I already saw 10 threads about AF447, but when working and having family it is very hard to read all that stuff in short period. I started to research this topic last month.

That is the reason why I oriented to the internet articles, forums and youtube, where the language is much more understandable. I understand in general what happened to AF447, but there are still a lot of black holes for me.

I know that noone can read pilot's minds, but that is why I want to hear something from the people who are also pilots, to hear what were they PROBABLY think, or why they probably done something. Understandably, reports won't say such things.

As I understood switching the AP on was not an option, it wouldn't help much.
I know that pilots were not aware that the indicators are OK, that was the "catch". My way of thinking was: "Nothing helps, we are falling, let's try with the AP switching on". Since I am not a pilot, that way of thinking is probably wrong

I watched the video on youtube where one investigator (I assume) said something like: "Most of the people were probably sleeping, so they did not know what was happening". From that (and my experience with traveling by planes) I concluded that passengers felt they were falling from the sky. I felt every time when the plane was decaying due to turbulences. Of course, this issue is not relevant to the air crash, just a little bit of human curiosity.

You said that it was irrelevant if the indicators worked fine, because the plane was stalling. The point is that obviously they did not belive that indicators are OK, because in that case they would believe that they are stalling and they would have done something about it. As I understood, although there was a lack of training with high altitude stalling, the point is that pilots DID NOT BELIEVE they were in the stall. If they belived it, they would have done something about it.

The pilots did not understand what was happening because they did not belive to the instruments, The AP was off, so they belive the stall alarm was also false.
My question here is: Is there any chance in that conditins for pilots to figure out what was happening, just relying on the cockpit view and the feeling? I read that in stall conditions there is some kind of "buffeting".

I did not pay attention to that captain's "It is impossible". So that was probably related to the stall warning as you said.

Another thing. From the last 1/2 minutes or so I conclude that Robert and Dubois realised the plane was stalling, after Bonin reveales that he was holding the stick back for the whole time? After that they were "mad" and try to put the nose down, as I understand.

Do you think that is likely?