PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learn From my mistakes!
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2013, 16:03
Beagle-eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In no particular order :

Not long after qualifying I took off on a local flight and was advised over the radio of an approaching snow shower. Completed my flight and ran into the snow on finals. I kept going thinking that I would run out of it. I did but I was scarily close to the ground when I regained visual. Started IMC training the following week.

Entered cloud when flying to South Uist. Made a gentle left turn to get me out. When I popped out of cloud I was at an alarmingly steep bank angle. Another few seconds and I would probably have lost control. Always trust your instruments.

Picked a Cessna 150 up from Perth after a 50 hour check. Did all the usual pre-flight checks and all OK. Full throttle down the runway and the thing would not lift off. Took a lot of back pressure to eventually stagger into the air. The trim was set to fully forward and I hadn’t realised. You can’t short cut the pre-flight – especially after it has been in the hangar.

Flew in a hired Cessna in the USA. Forgot to switch on the battery charger switch so had to get it hand cranked to restart. As soon as I landed I knew that there was a problem but I had flown for over an hour and not noticed the red light. Never ignore a red light.

Decided to fly to Glenforsa on Mull. Phoned and was told that the grass strip was in excellent condition and there had been no appreciable rain. We landed and almost lost it when we skidded through the mud. Should have asked when the last rainfall was.

Take off from Prestwick on the long runway with a crosswind. As soon as the nose gear left the ground the thing veered sharply to the left and almost left the runway. Managed to get it under control and taxied back rather sheepishly saying I thought that I had burst a tyre. Gusting cross winds and a light single don’t mix.

Left the aircraft parked for the week-end in Orkney and every nook and cranny was stuffed with grass from birds trying to build nests. Took the cowling off to clear round the engine and lost the two screws which hold it on. Managed to secure it by jamming two chinagraph pencils in the holes. Not very pleased about doing that but I had a commercial flight to catch from Glasgow so it was a desperate measure.

Another pilot had taxied the aircraft into a fence post and damaged the underside of the wing. We had some discussion and phoned the engineer at Glenrothes. He advised us to get the aircraft to him and he would have a look at it. I agreed to fly it there (30 minute flight). All OK until a couple of weeks later the CAA contacted me. The aircraft should have been inspected before the flight. I got into bother about that.

When I think about it, a scary number