PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2013, 14:53
749CONNIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and found it an interesting pastime. As I came across this discussion on the SR's thrust, I figured I'd add my 2 cents. I flew the Blackbird from '86 to the close of the program in '90. The thrust generated to attain Mach 3+ came from the combination of inlet, turbine, and AB/nozzle section. Rich Graham's 3rd book ( 4th available in May) is your best source on specifics from a pilots point of view. As an example, when things started to go wrong thrust wise, the first item checked was the inlet (spike, forward doors, aft bypass), then the AB/nozzle, then the turbine. More than 50% of thrust was produced by the inlet, +/-30% by the AB nozzle, the rest via the J-58. Our last SR lost (21 Apr '89) was via a turbine blade failure with the loss of #2 and B hydro and the slow loss of #1 and A hydro due to blades cutting those lines. The initial indication was only a fluxing yaw moment at level off at speed and altitude. There were 65 bold face procedures for this aircraft. I now have 3 on the 757/767. How times have changed.