PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you "get up to speed" when starting a shift or coming off a break?
Old 27th Feb 2013, 12:55
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Report your level, very good text book reply and completely correct, however most switched on controllers would know r/w in use, serviceabilities, wip etc before they plug in, I don't think a pressure handover nor weather is applicable as that would have been checked by the oncoming controller, besides the weather inc qnh can change as the controller is plugging in. All I can say is for the incoming controller to get the traffic picture and decide what to do next after flicking the switch, once getting the picture saying "I've got it" then flick the switch and take the position. If the outgoing controller has to sort a problem then he/she may want to sort it before takeover. I have seen the outgoing controller hanging around to ensure that everything is handed over and on the other hand I have heard the incoming controller asking the outgoing controller (as they are walking out the door) "what level is the speed bird descending to?" Finally if the incoming ATCO is switched on (and should be or shouldn't be at work) and pre briefed and has the picture with a plan then there should't be any problem. It is a fact though that most incidents happen during handovers and quiet periods.