PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clarification please - joining the circuit
Old 27th Feb 2013, 12:11
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 sheds

There are things which happen and things which should happen This post came about because an instructor made a non standard join in an uncontrolled airfield meaning no ATC!

I purely stated that with more experienced pilots such non standard joins often happen perfectly safely for one reason or another. That is fact and not bad airmanship!

Where it states "under no circumstances" then I agree the instructor should abide by that. He was clearly wrong to ignore that requirement.
Where there are procedures for not overflying sensitive areas or into parachute zones I also agree with that!
Common sense comes into the equation and we are not back in the 1940s when some of these guidances were formed! I stress guidances as they are hardly regulations which would stand up to detailed Legal scrutiny!

Nowadays non radio aircraft are rare in the past common place! Obviously any aircraft flying a non standard join has to be good visual and give priority to other aircraft radio or non radio.

Far more important in my view with modern GPS systems in airfields with NO ATC is for good communication between aircraft and detailed position reports as well as keeping unneeded blind 90 degree turns between high and low wing aircraft kept to a minimum ( Hence my opposition to an equally archaic and outdated overhead join)

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 27th Feb 2013 at 12:34.