PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2013, 09:54
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@GolfSierra...on the face of it, -yes you'd think so,,,,but there's a gear-train which multiplies the mechanical effort, The amount of pad-travel is extremely small and, as I postulated a while back, the system is electronically controlled to reflect pedal-pressure.

Effectively, each unit is an electrically powered jack--it only needs max. power to press the pads harder,a small burst of current ,then the thing holds itself in position....I'll grant that an instantaneous peak load MIGHT be quite high ,upon initial application,but I think this line is another red-herring.

Multiple APU starts?....cobblers! it has to cool for 30 minutes otherwise the Turbine-shaft apparently distorts(bends)S0, fire it up and the first thing it does is recharge it's own battery....well. that's what sound practice says it SHOULD do,,,,but the demonstrated masters of fudge and kludge may have a different view.

I'm just an oik, I don't get to gamble/fritter billions of shareholders' money on projects that appear to have a large input of hubris without the applied expertise behind it.

A triumph of marketing over reality?

One thing's for certain, Buyers who feel , justifiably, they've been stitched-up with a very expensive ,short -term Hangar-queen, and have to answer for their own misplaced faith, -should be, and probably are, royally p155ed-off. It'll take more than a lavish dinner and floor-show to placate them.