PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 27th Feb 2013, 02:39
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Near miss DN?...err beg your pardon!

Note: Slightly off topic but Ben doesn't miss an opportunity to stick another literal pineapple in...
Darwin inquiry into near miss by two jet airliners updated | Plane Talking

Ben’s article is interesting in light of Heff’s question to ATSBeaker at the Senate Estimates 12/02/2013. Here’s an excerpt from the Hansard…

“…Senator HEFFERNAN: You may have already managed this issue, but on 2 October a Qantas jet came within 250 metres of a mid-air collision.

Mr Dolan: I am sorry?

Senator HEFFERNAN: A near miss at Darwin on 2 October 2012.

Mr Dolan: We have a number of matters under investigation.

Senator HEFFERNAN: Where are we up to with that particular one?

Mr Dolan: Mr Sangston is currently working his way through the list of investigations and to get those details for you.

Senator HEFFERNAN: I appreciate that. Is my understanding correct that there will be a Defence investigation into it?

Mr Dolan: There is an investigation that we are doing into a loss of separation in Darwin involving Defence controllers. We are doing our normal no-blame investigation because it involved civilian aircraft. It is possible that, given that they were Defence air traffic controllers, the Defence Force would have made its own inquiries into that, but that is a separate issue from any inquiries we undertake. We initiated the investigation on 3 October and we are aiming for that going to the public early in the third quarter of the current year…..”

“…Senator HEFFERNAN: At the some point in the future—and I will not burden you further today—it might be appropriate for this committee to have a briefing of some sort.

Mr Dolan: I could say one thing which is relevant. We are also completing—we hope by May—a general assessment of loss or separation incidents and whether there are any underlying safety issues. That is part of our overall review of these matters, so we are keeping a close eye on it…..”

Perhaps the Heff’s questioning on the Darwin near miss has triggered some action from the ATSBeaker.

Although in reference to Heff’s briefing it would appear the Senate committee may be waiting a while.

Quotes from Ben’s piece, which also brings the thread back on track with a crack by Ben at the current outstanding revelations in the AAI inquiry:

From ATSB report: “The ATSB aims to finalise this investigation in October 2013.”

From Ben’s blog: “These are important questions and October this year is a long time to wait for answers.

Despite its post Pel-Air aversion to making safety findings and recommendations, it is hoped that the ATSB gets over that disgraceful abrogation of its obligations and gets on with its real job, which is not protecting CASA from embarrassing diclosures.”
Keep up the heat Ben!