PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2013, 23:49
Danny42C

Geriaiator,

You seem to have had some fearsome aquatic life swimming around in your end of the Arabian Sea ! Looking back, I sincerely hope they stayed up there, and didn't stray down to our end while I was splashing about in it. But then, our ignorance was bliss, I suppose !

Your point about the 12-mile freshwater link is a serious one. When the terrorists started up, it would be very hard to secure. Singapore (I was told) was a lost cause as soon as the Japs got a stranglehold on the water supply across the strait from Johore.

We are alike in our admiration for Kipling. Out of favour in the eyes of the intelligentia (?) for generations, he seems to be regaining his proper place as a Giant of English Literature..........D.

Chugalug,

I'm afraid "Shoestring Airways" was far from unique in those days. Ex-RAF pilot blows his war gratuity on getting his "B" Licence, forms Limited Company, then scrapes enough money together to hire a 2/h DC-3 (ex-Dakota) and spray it up. Gets a licence to operate from CAA (or whatever it was called then - "Board of Trade" ?). Hires a couple of other ex-RAF types, who will fly almost for nothing to get in the hours to keep their "B"s alive, buys in maintenance (kick-tyres variety) and the rest from the lowest bidder. Sets up in Charter business.

For every one who made good (Freddie Laker) ten went to the wall (the DC-3 would be recycled to the next starry-eyed hopeful, get another coat of paint - same again). We may have been one of the first to call on the nearest Consul, but I wager we were not the last, and they would soon get fed up with this caper.....D.

pbeach,

At last ! But too late for the majority (may they Rest in Peace)...D.

Regards to you all, Danny.