PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report on very low flying Thai Airways B777 at Melbourne.
Old 26th Feb 2013, 23:05
judge.oversteer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Everybody,
Interesting thread to say the least.
In my time an NDB approach (No such thing as an ADF Approach, an ADF is the piece of equipment in the aircraft, the NDB is the radio beacon on the ground!) in a F27 or a Viscount properly executed down to near minimums was an extremely satisfying thing to do accurately. And everyone knew how to do one, ie Wynyard, Tassie. Time and motion study.
I'm sure JL will agree with me.
I'm sorry if I'm showing my age but to give an NDB/VOR approach to students in the simulator without any aircraft emergencies is an extremely good handling exercise for all pilots, with, or without, RNAV, PRNAV or GNAV or whatever you want to call it and a good lesson in crew management.
In my 30 years on B747/B744 I think I only ever did the real thing at JFK 13L, Tabriz, and on RWY06 VOR, and sometimes RWY24, at Manila at some very interesting times! There was no ILS on RWY06 and always a few CB's! (LAVS on the B744).
In my opinion its perhaps not a bad idea to keep these approaches (VOR/RNAV) in the Sim. RNAV approach into Kansei to ILS/GS at 1200 feet was also good effort.
Boeing and Airbus are continually designing the flying pilot out of the flightdeck through automation but these procedures must be taught!
I know, it's very hard to teach students the loop these days, ie stick/control column, throttle/s, rudder/s and scan! (Winjeel and Vampire days, eh! No, not that one!).
They just want to play with the autopilot!
Oh well, back to the Port and Stilton...
Cheers.
JO.

Last edited by judge.oversteer; 26th Feb 2013 at 23:35.