PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Never fall out with the Nav ...
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2013, 22:55
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit right/left dyslexic. I remember when I was doing my instrument approach training shooting a PAR and the GC was saying 'Left 5 degrees' and I was correcting right which of course compounded the error. I now hold up my hands in similar situations and say out loud 'This is my left hand I need to turn in the direction of this hand.' This assumes of course that I'm holding up the correct hand in the first place.

I organised a Sqdn treasure hunt one year. As you can imagine it was a total disaster as I think my instructions for the second road junction were to turn right when it should have been left which then totally bolloxed the rest of the directions. People were still coming back hours later.

On the other hand mrs thing is like a homing pigeon. We can visit a totally strange town, park the car, walk around for an hour or two (I'm lost after the first turning) and then when we decide to return to the car she says 'Turn right here, second left. third right, through the traffic lights and we'll be at the car park'. She's never wrong.

Edit: I'm also one of those saddos that looses his car in the supermarket car park. I went to the NEC once to an exhibition (oddly enough!) and it took me over an hour to find my car when I left. You try and hide it though don't you, sort of saunter around in a 'I haven't lost my car, no actually I'm walking in a purposeful manner somewhere' way.

Last edited by thing; 26th Feb 2013 at 22:59.