PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Never fall out with the Nav ...
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2013, 22:27
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Me Mum turns 94 this July....and just less than a year ago she totaled her car. That was the way we got her to stop driving finally. She did in a young man's car....then....in a separate event returned to the scene of that collision and ran down the wooden utility pole at the same intersection saying her brakes were not working.....but I digress.

I now play the "Driving Miss Daisy" role....as the Driver. God Help me but the guy who wrote that Screen Play knew my Mother.

Arm wave Nav.....is naught for Mom.

One day I was informed we were off to a small town about two hours away to visit two of her nursing school friends. One was in a Nursing Home in one town....and the second was in a Nursing Home in a second near by town. I allowed a fit of Dumbass hit me....and did not get the details of the two places assuming Mom knew where they were. Remember....it is two small towns we are talking of here.

Sum total of the one was....."It is just off the main road through town!". No...it wasn't...and there are more than one "main roads" now. Of course she did not have the address, phone number, or name of the place. Now....walk into a local convenience store (after an hours drive all over said small town) and asking if there was a nursing home in the area....to be asked.....yes...."Which one you looking for?".

I bagged that one....and proceeded to our next stop....to visit with my Niece. Who of course was not home. Odd, Mom did not tell the Niece we were coming as of course she would be home. Home on a work day at lunch time? Now who would think? Stroke of luck....said Niece did drop by quite by accident.

Niece knew the address for the elusive Nursing Home....and also the second one we were to visit. A quick phone call to the next place was a real time saver....the old Women had died two years before thus we could skip that stop.

My second attack of Dumb Ass was to attempt to do a Post Trip De-Brief with my Mom. That accomplished nothing!

I do so look forward to these outings with my Mom.....which I rate right up there with Root Canals and chewing Tin Foil!

Last edited by SASless; 26th Feb 2013 at 22:28.