PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 250,000 veterans of Arctic convoys and Bomber Command to be honoured
Old 26th Feb 2013, 18:19
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Two years ago I met a former Wellington pilot who was celebrating his 90th birthday at the RAF Club. He was pleased to talk to an aircrew member from another generation. I was surprised to learn that he served in Coastal Command, not Bomber Command, in specially adapted long-range Wellingtons, flying sorties of up to 14 hours over the Atlantic.

This was dangerous uncomfortable flying, done at low-level, in the knowledge that the loss of one of his two engines would mean an almost certain death in the water, with no chance of parachuting into captivity. For this unglamorous but dangerous work he was awarded the Atlantic Star.

I would never belittle the men of Bomber Command - I am in awe of their achievements, but now that they have their long awaited clasp, are we going to award the unsung heroes of Coastal Command a clasp to their Atlantic Stars? If not, why not? My point is, once you start singling out one or two groups for special treatment, where do you stop? The campaign stars for World War Two were deliberately created as theatre awards to avoid special pleading - is it correct to change this after a 65 year gap?

Last edited by Tankertrashnav; 26th Feb 2013 at 18:21.