PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2013, 09:05
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great stuff Griffo!

Presumably the hangar behind Geoffers Bolkow is sadly coming down (or perhaps has already come down?).

Planko: Well done! I'm trying to find the original request for this photo (I think it may have been a separate thread) - what I do recall is that the poster didn't receive any replies! Hopefully he'll check-out this thread and happen upon your photo. I think it must be the one because if I remember correctly, he made referece to a girl 'lying' on an S76. So, well done!

Summertime continued ..

We looked (briefly) at the operations of Somerton-Rayner Helicopters on the previous page and how in 1975 one of the 'Rayner Rangers' went swimming in the Thames. As mentioned before, there seems to be no open-source record of the ditching by G-BCCZ.

I also hunted high and low for an image of "CZ" (other than the media clippings I posted) but, alas, there was also nothing.

But .. as has so often been the case on this thread .. there was one source which came-up trumps .. enter 'Elipix' !!

And this is what he sent:

Somerton Rayner Helicopters Bell 206A JetRanger G-BCCZ (Photo: The Helipixman Collection)

As this is a Vera Lynn photograph any help in guessing the location would be most appreciated.

Regarding the date, I am assuming this is pre-ditching and which would place the timeframe between April 1974 and August 1975.

I sound unsure because CAA records show the craft on their books up until 1983 (which is when Summertime wound down most of his operations) .. perhaps 'CZ' was made airworthy after her ditching?

Note Summertime's penchant for one-piece rear windows and missing tail beacons!