PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2013, 16:15
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
More from the Barren Rocks of Aden

Danny,
The runway runs across an isthmus and its builders chose to site the saltwater pool on its eastern end away from the quarters. The pool had a corrugated iron canopy section and was the only building on a superb beach, though swimming was shared with shark, sting rays and venomous sea snakes. The post-Suez development brought a new pool within the station perimeter. Today a dual carriageway runs along the beach and the entire area has been built upon. It was indeed a terrible posting for adults.
In our day water came from Sheikothman via a 12-mile pipeline and even then was seen as a major weakness. Sewage? Not even the Kids explored this connection, though I daresay it would be easy to find from downwind
We Kids were welcomed (within reason!) in the barrack blocks as little brothers but I don't remember anyone learning languages least of all Arabic which was probably something to be left behind as soon as possible. There were some very good guitar, mandolin and accordion players, though.

FEDriver,
Interesting to hear of your Moray House Test being accepted. I'm beginning to think that the only ones who missed out were the children returning via Croft or Padgate transit camps, perhaps the Lancashire education authority were to blame. Today we have few (albeit very nasty) places to scatter our dwindling Servicemen but I still feel for the families of those who serve their country.