PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry on with aircraft ppl or switch to microlights?
Old 25th Feb 2013, 16:04
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As M Berger said, everything gets contermanded on here! But my two pennorth. It depends on what you want to do with your flying. If it's purely for the joy of flying then there's no better or cheaper way than gliding. If you want a day out a realistic distance away with a couple of mates in reasonable comfort and with a decent chance of actually setting off and getting back then do your PPL and IMC rating. Even better, do both gliding and powered.

I'm certainly not discounting microlighting at all, but for my personal requirements then the above applies. It's different for every pilot, you have to decide exactly what you want and then taylor your needs to that. It would seem to me though as you are already about a quarter of the way to geting your PPL that you might as well continue. Just my opinion, again you have to decide.

Edit: I agree with Carl, although on the face of it a nice three axis like a Jabiru is cheap to run, they ain't cheap to buy. Group A is usually a lot cheaper, especially a share in a well maintained one. You have to do an awful lot of flying to make up the difference in fuel consumption and servicing.

I'll give you an example there's a share going in a local 172, known service history, full IFR fit for under 5k and it's availability is excellent. Fixed cost is £65 pm plus an hourly cost including fuel of around £65. It's not as expensive as you think. And no I'm not telling you where it is 'cos I might have a dabble in that one myself...

Last edited by thing; 25th Feb 2013 at 16:16.