PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survey: Pilot Weather Related Decision Making
Old 25th Feb 2013, 15:52
clunk1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your post grad study is looking at genuine in flight decision making based on flight conditions then you are way off course using these images.

I've been flying long enough (20 years) and using flight sims long enough (PC based through to level-C) to know you cannot establish any reasonable situational awareness or assess conditions based on 3D rendering and graphics with a limited field of view, certainly not from a pc game, and probably not from any still image capture.

Even if you had images or photos which conveyed the conditions accurately, decisions made in the air especially decisions relating to weather (both subconscious and conscious) come from continual assessment of conditions all around you - at a very basic level "Is it getting better? Is it getting worse?" (weather on track, off track, behind, towards alternate etc).

You simply couldn't (and woudn't) make a decision from your information. I suggest you might want to rethink your research method. All you'll get from this questionnare is "how inaccurate is the Microsofts Flight sim engine at portraying weather conditions and altitude". And I can already tell you that - 'very'.