PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry on with aircraft ppl or switch to microlights?
Old 25th Feb 2013, 13:24
FleetFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to look into an NPPL A which will allow you to fly group A aircraft and microlights without the expense of a full PPL. I believe that if you have an EASA Instructor you can count all the training hours toward a standard PPL should you fancy going commercial all the same.

If you get your NPPL M and then upgrade that to group NPPL A, then decide to go commercial, the credit allowed is much less.

I found that microlights are great but you are limited to non-aerobatic manoeuvres, which is a little frustrating. Having said that, the CTSW, Jabiru, etc are such great performers that if you don't want aerobatic or instrument flight capability then there is little point in group A machines any more.

I massively recommend buying into a syndicate-owned aircraft when you get your license. It saves you having to maintain it when you're still unfamiliar with the systems. I know this from personal experience, having bought my first flexwing microlight aged 17. You'll get to fly much more if you're in a syndicate where someone maintains the plane for you, but is prepared to teach you how to maintain it also.