PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia to Lose 4500 jobs - 25 airframes
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:11
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty sure that your sacrifice will be recognized and rewarded by your mgmt, as soon as the crisis in Iberia subsides a bit and they turn their attention to the UK part of the operation.
Good grief, why do we have to go around and around and around the same old rubbish. Ever since I have been in BA we have heard, year after year, the same old threats. It's much like the mythical pilot shortage that is peddaled every year but never appears.

Of course the management are going to come looking for savings, that's their job, if they didn't they'd be sacked. The trick is to evolve with the times and accept that nothing stays the same for ever.

My earnings and pension are nowhere near as grand as those who went before me. I accept that. I understand that those who work with me now are not on as good a deal as I am. They accept that. We all understand that the industry is an ever changing environment that requires the ability to merge, rationalise and evolve. Fuel costs today compared to when I started flying in the 1980's are monsterous. Landing fees, navigation fees, servicing costs, ramp costs, catering costs etc. etc. etc. have all risen massively, not even to talk about the anti aviation tax regieme that past and present govenrments have applied. My earnings over the past 10 years have not substansively changed, after the last major rewrite of the pilots pay system I lost money. That's the way it goes.

The upshot of all of this is that fuel and personnel costs have become the two biggest costs of the company. So, whilst hedging can only contain the fuel costs not reduce them of course the company will come looking to reduce personnel costs.

The difference is that we have handled the change over the past 20 years, bit by bit until we have a system now that is flexible and puts forward a quantifyable, fixed cost, per hour rate to the company.

If it needs to be adjusted again then that is what we shall negotiate.

This isn't about a bunch of playground bullies shouting 'you'll be next' this is about stemming massive losses in a very cut throat industry and it is going to hurt some people. Sorry but thats the nub of it as unpleasant as it is for those affected.

Last edited by Wirbelsturm; 25th Feb 2013 at 12:12.