PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2003, 13:15
Red Wine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Real Thing........

Just read an interesting and relevant story from a book Called " Helicopters Will Take You Anywhere" written by Ron Newman, a well known and highly respected Australian Instructor..........[No not related to myself].....on page 136 he writes....

"Anyone who has had an engine failure at high power will tell you that the RPM decay and the yaw in a real engine failure are far greater than when simulating an engine failure by rolling off the throttle.

It doesn't matter how quickly you snap the throttle closed, it is still a gradual power reduction compared to an engine failure, particularly in a turbine engine where the turbine has to wind down from over 30,000 RPM.

I had a throttle cable jam at climb power in a Hughes 300 on a training flight, and as I couldn't lower the collective without causing an "overspeed" I had to continue climbing as I returned to the airport. By the time I reached the airport I had climbed to 4500' and at this point I got the student to pull the mixture out.

I have done thousands of practice autorotations but the severity of the yaw surprised me, and yet I knew it was coming"

Chaps, we are just practicing with one arm behind our back. If you are serious about teaching Engine Off's to the ground!!!!..............then do as the earlier posting suggested..........pull out the mixture or turn off the fuel...............

Only then are you serious.

Otherwise you are giving only false confidence..........

Last edited by Red Wine; 11th Feb 2003 at 14:50.