PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2013, 17:26
Danny42C

....The next place we came to was Aden....(trad song)

Chugalug,

Your quote: "Danny, get those train tickets back, now !" Never was truer word spoken ! Would that we had ! (as shall presently appear).

Thanks for the links. From these it would seem that 90+% of the timorous were miraculously freed from their terrors (but then Virgin and BA would say that, wouldn't they ?)

My experience is that reason is of no avail against unreasoning fears. I know that incey-wincey-spider can do me no harm, but I still would not have him as a pet. And I must confess that, the first time I paid good money to fly in an aeroplane post-war, I was rather uncomfortable, being without a parachute (or four-point harness) !......D.

Geriaviator,

Again, a feast of pics of quite professional quality ! It would seem that the place was one of those "Far Flung Corners of the British Empire that hadn't been Flung Far Enough". Questions abound: if the airport could get seawater and it was only a mile away, why didn't you have a pool ? Was there a shortage of seawater ? Hadn't pipes and pumps been invented yet ?
And what was the fresh water source ? (place looks rather dry to me). And your sewage system ?

Your (NS) airmen didn't need to be bored. How about learning Arabic ? - think how useful that would be now. And how I appreciate the irony in your final sentence !...........D.

Cheers to you both, Danny.