PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry on with aircraft ppl or switch to microlights?
Old 24th Feb 2013, 16:57
m.Berger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome. Any opinion voiced here will be immediately countermanded by somebody who claims to know better. I took an NPPL(M) because I couldn't afford to fly a PPL aircraft. With good aircraft for under £5000 (Look up Minimax) or two seaters for £10,000 or less (Rans S6) it makes a lot of sense. You gain signifigantly cheaper flying at the expense of being much more weather dependent.
It will be of little help if you want to go commercial. (Don't. Buy a 'plane and enjoy it.) You can't fly at night or on instruments but you can cross the channel.
Three axis microlights are more difficult to fly because their light weight and lack of inertia mean you have to keep your wits about you.
Where you are makes a difference with regard to training. If I were in your position, I would. It is flying for fun; the aircraft are enjoyable to fly and the people are wonderful.
Then again, if you are ready to solo I think you should do that first because it would be a pity not to. It is well worth the cost of an Air Law exam.

Last edited by m.Berger; 24th Feb 2013 at 17:00.