PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shorts Belfast
Thread: Shorts Belfast
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2013, 16:27
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivan Rogov
PN, that would be the Nimrod that then needed a rapid probe fit in 1982. I think the Vulcan AAR capability had lapsed, not sure about the C130 or Victor as a receiver though.
True, neither the C130 nor the Nimrod were AAR capable. I am referring directly to the original procurement strategy where we failed to provide the requisite tanker force to support our receiving capability. The Valiant force was better than the Victor that replaced it but by no means a proper capability. The Vulcan ceased AAR with the demise of the Valiant in 1964; I was on one of the last courses. The Victor 2 did not do AAR either until it was roled as a tanker.

AAR for larger aircraft (other than FJ) provides a great deal of flexibility for unplanned events, increasing range
but only if the tankers are pre-deployed otherwise the best would be to increase the payload on departure and top up fuel before proceeding en route.

or on station time greatly. We used to always have a plan B or C, now we are lucky to have a plan A
That is a given but the only aircraft that could have benefited from an increased on station time in the 60s was the Valiant ACP,the Valiant Tanker and the V-bomber QRA which never came to fruition after the initial trials as it was never policy to fly with live weapons.

The Comet (51 Sqn) which could have used the extra flexibility was not AAR capable.

Not having a boom on the new Voyager is a classic example of how we fail to provide 'agile, adaptable and capable' equipment for our forces or our Allies, no wonder the US are getting fed up with us and the rest of NATO.
Which is my point from the 60s - failure to provide half the resources.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 24th Feb 2013 at 16:48.