PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Boats to East Africa
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2013, 01:01
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CY . . . . for all these labours you deserve something better than a leather medal.

Shortly after the book 'Beyond the Blue Horizon' came out, I enjoyed a
snail correspondence with the author. When in UK recently,
despite best efforts, I could not find AF's address or phone. The ones I should have had with me were back home in OZ. So an opportunity was sadly lost to take up an invitation made ten years earlier.

While over there, a visit to VH-BRC, the Sandringham housed
in the Solent Sky Museum in Southampton, was mandatory. In the mid 60s
at the old Ansett Flying Boat Services base at Rose Bay on Sydney Harbour,
my apprenticeship was served in the hangar there. The two boats on strength then were BRC and BRF.

By the way, do you know the title of that large format hard cover book detailing the history of BRF? A google search failed to bring it up.

Last October my daughter was fortunate enough to be given a guided tour of the workshop and restoration section of the Musee de L'Air at Le Bourget, Paris. Her guide took her up into the wheelhouse of the former VH-APG, the Sandringham operated out of Rose Bay in the 50s by Sir Gordon Taylor on his 'Cruisebird' charters round the South Pacific. The story of these flights and the fascinating lead-up is told in his book 'Bird of the Islands'.

A daughter of the late Sir Gordon has some 8mm colour footage taken on one of the flights to remote SW Pacific islands and atolls. She is going to have then put on DVDs, so you may expect a copy sooner or later.

Last edited by Fantome; 24th Feb 2013 at 09:42.