PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flexicrew details?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2013, 00:48
Piloto2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He does, doesn't he? :P

However, I could not agree more with what truckflyer says.

Buggington,

You are so young, you have all the time in the world to set yourself up nicely.

The trick is, be prepared for a long wait at every stage during your career. So make sure life stays fairly enjoyable. This may start with having low debts so you can have a life.

People said it before, those in easy may fly a jet, yes, but they struggle along financially. And for a long time to come. People said it before, fewer and fewer left seat opportunities or opportunities elsewhere.

Now remember, while many people warn against entering this industry I'd like to point out there'll always be the very fortunate, wealthy among us. They will always fly. And they will always want their pilots to be on excellent Ts and Cs. I claim this will not change. But to get a job like this you need to work in the industry to meet the people already in. And you don't need the hours or rating. I've seen it happening.

So, start at the bottom. Mitigate risk of failure by reducing your investment. Enjoy the ride. And keep looking for the next step.

Friend of mine had just finished high school and worked several month nightshifts in a local factory as a packer. He then left for America and got his PPL. Returned to factory working some more and did his hour building. Same for ATPLs. Took him two to three years I believe. He then borrowed the rest including instructor rating. Got picked up as an instructor in the U.S., did that for a couple of years only to then get hired onto a 73 in Europe.

Admittedly this was before 2008 so better times for him but he never had much debt and walked straight into the job while being able to live life.

Last I'd like to point this one out: those integrated courses are highly competitive. Instructors will put a lot of pressure on you to complete every lesson satisfactorily. All the while the burden of 90k is hanging over your head. And ticking. This type of environment may not be for everyone.