PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35s grounded.
Thread: F35s grounded.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 15:47
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Always a Sapper
Do we not get turbine blade failure on other engines/fleets and would the whole fleet be grounded then? Notwithstanding of course the recent introduction of the F35 and the obvious lack of history when compared to say the Tonka fleet.
I think one clue is in the news item. They need to ensure the support of the other nations involved in the development programme. They cannot afford to press on an risk another failure, so better to ground the fleet when such grounding in not yet an operational issue.

Look also at the 787 which has been grounded by the FAA. Then think of the Comet where they pressed on an lost more aircraft.

The RAF has been known to have tech groundings just they never publicised them to this extent. There was on grounding on the Vulcan fleet circa '65-'67 which lasted IIRC 10 days or more. As this did not prevent launch on deterrent missions, and we didn't wish to alarm anyone, it was kept Secret. the same was true of the Valiant force in '64. They remained operational yet grounded at the same time.