PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging Co-Pilot Time in SP Operation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 12:07
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
That's why??
Completely irrelevant, MNII.
Actually, CAR 5.106 explains that to fly an aircraft like a C421 (or C414), you not only need to hold a C402/421 endorsement, but a Pressurisation DFE as well. Works for Malibus too. It might fall under the SE<5700kg category, but you can't fly it unless you have Px in your logbook. (You CANNOT fly it if you don't use the pressurisation system either. Would be like flying a C206 without a CSU and leaving the prop in fine!)

How would the Chief Pilot of a VFR piston company (who is NOT required to hold an ATPL) ICUS any of their pilots on a charter run if all of a sudden the C210 became a "multi pilot aeroplane" with the two of them onboard??????
Your ICUS quote has no relevance whatsoever to multi-crew operation. You are refering to a training & checking procedure.

Lynchpin seems to provide the best explanation so far, but if Metros and B-1900s are only single pilot certifiied for all ops, then why are there co-pilot endorsements for these types?

From another point of view, there are co-pilot endos for Kingairs and Twotters too. What are the categories of operation where 2 pilots are required?
Is the existance of this endorsement purely to satisfy the autopilot scenario?
I'm not inflexible. This would seem to support the case for co-pilot time if it is the sole purpose.

If not, then again I'm asking if there is some CAR217 dispensation, because CAR 5.105 seems to be pretty straight forward.
A CPL may fly a multi-pilot aeroplane as PIC in any operation other than CHTR or RPT.
If there is a reason the CAR's don't apply (defence of hours listed in your logbook notwithstanding), I do want to hear it!

I think everyone will agree the rules need to be amended to remove any confusion. Second Counter-Rotation's motion.

Last edited by MakeItHappenCaptain; 23rd Feb 2013 at 12:28.