PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 08:35
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny:-
for a long time after that the airlines ran "Fear of Flying" Courses to pull in the faint hearted punters (do they still ?)
Indeed they do, here are just two that do them:-

Flying without fear

Flying with confidence - British Airways

As you say, it is easy for those of us so used to flying, but difficult for us to comprehend that there are many who can't face up to it, and others who do but suffer severely from the stress it induces (as against that caused by delays, lost luggage, terminal congestion, security procedures etc). These courses are spectacularly successful in helping many put all that worry and fear behind them. I always commended them to those who spoke of such problems of their own or of loved ones, friends, etc. Evidently explaining simple (?) stuff like how the wings can support so much weight in the air, why one has to bank an aircraft to turn it, and how that is done, why bits of the wing have to run back and downwards when coming into land and why there is usually a high pitched sound when that happens or when the gear is lowered (ending with a thump!).
Even as I write this I can see it opening a Pandora's Box of fellow PPRuNers ostensibly seeking my advice and reassurance at the anxieties they purport to experience.
Well don't bother, simply follow the links!

Though on reflection, after reading of the hairy arrivals into Cointrin, I might just do the same thing.

Danny, get those train tickets back, now!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 23rd Feb 2013 at 08:40.