PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report on very low flying Thai Airways B777 at Melbourne.
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 08:13
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jammed Stab
The MDA inside 6.5 mile is 760 ft, so the aircraft was ABOVE the published minima.

This is incorrect. Look at the diagrams. I think the difficulty is in your comprehending them.
The minimum altitude for the segment inside 6.5 DME is indeed 760ft (corrected to 920 by the NOTAM).

It is entirely likely at the time of the instruction to go around, the aircraft was back on glideslope.

There is no glideslope on this approach and they had not returned to a 3 degree descent path toward the intended runway.
It's obvious to me that Akro was referring to the "approach" slope.

Originally Posted by ATSB Factual Info page 1
the flight crew changed the MCP target altitude to 970 ft, selected FLCH mode and the aircraft commenced descent. To maintain the target airspeed of 190 kts, the autothrottle reduced engine thrust to flight idle.
Not a 777 pilot, but that's not how FLCH works, is it? The ATS comes to idle because this mode uses pitch to control speed. The ATS did/does not come to Idle to "maintain the target airspeed of 190KIAS". What actually would happen (in the A/T jets I've flown) is the A/T would have come to Idle (regardless of the speed) and the nose would have have come up to slow the aircraft down to 190KIAS, then the nose would have dropped (a lot) to maintain the speed.