PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 Lightning.....
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 06:31
gassed budgie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
It's still only got one engine
Indeed it does. I'm sure that LM eventually will get the software problems sorted and also all of the other technical issues that they seem to be having trouble with at the moment.
Having said that, I'm not sure that the aircraft will meet it's performance targets as originally set out by LM themselves. It's supposed to be a one size fits all, multirole aircraft suited to the USAF, the USMC and the USN, not to mention all of the foreign buyers that have signed up to the program.
In other words, it will fulfil a variety of roles to a satisfactory level without being outstanding in any one particular area because of the compromises that have been made in order fit in with the differing requirements of various military organisations.
The only reservation that I have with the aircraft, is that when it boils right down to it, the airframe/engine combination is simply, physically to small to carry out some of the roles asked of it. You can only do so much with a relatively small single engine airframe. The defence minister recently suggested that an F-35 would be able to deliver the same amount of ordinance that an F-111 was capable of. I very much doubt that.
The most successful fighter aircraft in history was eventually compromised to some degree by it's tiny airframe and proved to be more than a little vulnerable in carrying out some of the tasks asked of it. Hopefully the F-35 won't end up in the same place.