PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International and Future A350 pilots `learn by doing`
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 02:59
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indigopete
That's the way engineers see it
Hmm - I think there's some oversimplification going on there. What you're actually talking about is how your lecturer in control systems theory taught that part of his module. It's a bit of a stretch to then extend that single occasion to all engineers (including, but not limited to multiple disciplines such as electrical, software, aeronautical and engineering pilots) involved in aircraft development.

Looking at it purely in terms of control systems theory, your lecturer is correct. However what drives the pilot-as-feedback-mechanism is a complex combination of decision-making, experience, motor control etc. I have a strong suspicion that if you'd asked him after the lecture he'd have explained that his description was to be applied to his module only.

...the way we trust traffic lights enough to plough through a green light at speed without caring to check that the other guy's stopped.
Speaking for myself, I had enough minor prangs in my first year of driving (and seen enough of my mates in hospital) that I've never done that.

PJ2 and Clandestino are bang on the money.