PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt Simulation
Thread: Flt Simulation
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2003, 03:36
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

ZFT: You started an interesting topic which I've not thought about in a while. Before I make a suggestion, or repeat what others have said, just some observations here.

Having been trained just over four years ago for "simple" engine flameouts (requiring an intense workload) etc in the DC-9 Captain's seat, what actually happened on the three hour-plus type rating (checkride) and to others in this plane or on the 737 etc can be a good bit different. My Check Airmen made some mistake when he programmed the sim for an engine failure for V1 or Vr. Although I somehow kept the "plane" straight, the engine thrust went back and forth a few times from full thrust to a partial or zero thrust setting. He apologized for messing up the thing and never gave me another engine flameout. The recent type rides are all through the AQP program, those lucky sob's...they can repeat anything.

One of our crews on this fleet had an actual engine problem where the thrust fluctuated at least a few times during climb-out and the crew decided to pull the throttle to idle. One of our FOs had a very similar problem as a Captain in a 737-3 or 400 climbing out of Midway Airport (a bad enough, really lousy, cramped airport to deal with) and said that it took more rudder muscle than he expected-no pun intended here.

Therefore, it might improve safety to have each crew (especially for military crews who might only have 3,000 total hours or less) exposed once a year to such a series of compressor stalls/surges in the sim, because so many problems in any real airplane are not clear-cut, especially with electrical faults or pneumatics.

Having a stuck flight spoiler panel in the sim was quite a challenge, even in night, VMC conditions! I was lucky to keep the thing from rolling more than 70 degrees (the plane suddenly decided to be an A-6 or S-3 dive bomber), after asking a different Check Airman for a flight control problem years ago as FO, just for extra random training for the real world. It was excellent training to have experienced the very awkward flight characteristics.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 11th Feb 2003 at 03:51.