PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report on very low flying Thai Airways B777 at Melbourne.
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 10:45
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
The big question - which has already been raised - is why we don't have ILS on all runways.
No doubt the appropriate Australian civil aviation authorities will have long ago examined the feasability of putting an ILS on Runway 34. Part of that study included looking at the number of times in a year the weather from the north was so bad that an ILS was needed. Northerlies in Melbourne rarely bring low vis unless a thunderstorm is passing through and in that case the aircraft have no business trying to land during a thunderstorm.
The tax payer eventually foots the bill for an ILS installation and on-going maintenance and I for one would object my hard earned money as a delivery van driver being spent on some foreign airliner crewed by two incompetents simply because they are out of their depth on basic instrument flying skills.

Some months ago I was talking to a former foreign student of mine who flew into Melbourne acting in command under supervision in an A330 from overseas. Never mind the name. I recall that day. Strong northerlies and ATC gave duty runway as 34. The captain of the A330 declined even though the runway was two miles long and a 25 knot HW component. He asked for 27 as it had an ILS and it was a fine day except for gusty northerlies.
The aircraft landed heavily as the ICUS pilot left autopilot disconnect very late and heavy braking was needed.

The ICUS pilot told me the reason why the captain did not want to use runway 34 was he was unsure of the VOR/DME arc needed for 34 and didn't like using PAPI - preferring to accept the the strong cross wind on the relatively shorter 27 runway as the aircraft could be auto-coupled right down to the flare. Make no mistake about it, there are overseas airlines operating to Melbourne every day crewed occasionally by incompetent pilots, who rely blindly on the automatic coupled ILS approach as the preferred method of landing. Melbourne does not need an ILS on runway 34 since the present VOR approach is perfectly safe and easy to fly and already has a low MDA plus PAPI on all runways.