PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways 747 diverts to Las Vegas - fumes in flight deck
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 07:34
BRE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fargoo,

yes, it is possible to catch and analyse oil fumes. I work for a company that makes precision optics. Hydrocarbons may be cracked by UV light and deposit on lens and mirror surfaces. We have been hunting for outgassing components for more than a decade. Typically, we let some of the purge air flow through a tube that is filled with a high surface area mineral. The, offline, the tube is heated with a slow ramp, and the substances that are released from the mineral filling are analysed with a gas chromatograph.

Lufthansa is participating in a study where they are installing monitors on some planes. This announcement (unfortunately in German but with google translation at the bottom) is from 2012, pertinent sections are F and I:
http://www.aerotoxic.org/download/do...hema%20TCP.pdf

I believe I read somewhere that they have installed the sensors by now but can't find the link right now.

It is intesting to see that the Lufthansa CP acknowledges known problems with RR power plants in the 346 (solved) and 380 (being addressed).

As for filtering, hepa filters have a hard time catching particles in the 100 to 300 nm range which would be the size of a larghish oil droplet but they do achieve this, depending on what filter class is used and how much loss of space and increase in flow resistance can be accepted.

Last edited by BRE; 22nd Feb 2013 at 07:49.