PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2013, 22:54
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi PJ2,

That's a cogent analysis of the first half minute; a longer time frame than I had in mind. I think the loss of situational awareness becomes indisputable round about FL352 climbing, with the absence of any attempt to arrest the increasing pitch-attitude, let alone reverse it.

Quote:
"...knowing how to fly a jet transport airplane using pitch and power in all flight regimes, normal and abnormal, is absolutely, fundamentally paramount in this business, period."

Amen to that. Those of us who have hand-flown jets in the cruise for long periods know only too well that a single degree of pitch represents nearly 1000 ft/min (rather more on Concorde...). Practising it without the luxury of the FD, with or without IAS display, needs at least to be encouraged. That would best include a step-climb at CLB thrust with IAS, and a step-descent.

Lonewolf_50,

I reckon that, as you suggest, the audio signature would have changed considerably as the aircraft slowed down: engine noise gradually becoming more apparent as the air noise diminished. But, whereas subtle changes in sound can attract attention when you are relaxed, I suspect that they might not when the adrenalin is running?