PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2013, 22:19
go around flaps15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C1Melbourne

I flew with a Captain today who started his commercial training Integrated at 30 and went out into the right hand seat at 33. He got his command 2 months ago aged 38. This is on a Boeing 737-800 in Europe.

He started out with a plan and things worked out nicely. I have an iron in the fire elsewhere at the moment but if it doesn't come off, I'm hoping to have a shot at a potential upgrade at the end of the year. If it works out it will be from starting flight school(modular) to skipper just short of 7 years. I will be just shy of 31. Unfortunately I would envisage quick upgrades like this to come to a very abrupt halt in the not too distant future where I am.

It can work out quite nicely for some, but for others it can be a living nightmare both financially and emotionally.

If you are going to do it you MUST have a plan before you start out. I would imagine it being very difficult to get onto a Jet let alone any sort of major airline in Australia unless you have lots of hours. I have met a few Australians who have come over this neck of the woods to try and forge a career and it worked out, but as always with this profession there are stumbling blocks and inevitably casualties.

I wish you all the luck in this world if you decide to give the career change a shot.

Last edited by go around flaps15; 21st Feb 2013 at 23:08.