PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt Simulation
Thread: Flt Simulation
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2003, 22:02
Elliot Moose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZFT
I think the problem IS the TRE's and POI's et al. Too few of them know anything about a given aircraft. Those that do in fact have a type rating on say a CRJ have ever flown the aircraft or worked with it enough to see these differences. Because I do work with one type every day for the manufacturer, I see these things and investigate (as do my collegues). I also fly the aircraft on a semi-regular basis. The local pilot cops (we deal with every authority in the world) seldom even look at the type unless there is a check or a problem.

Unless we complain, there is no intervention. As far as acceptance, they only deal with "does the malfunction do what the button says it will do?" The sim I was using in AUZ is no longer even affiliated with an operating airline, so there is no TRE involved except when the inspector shows up for the checkride on a crew. At least back home I have the advantage of a whole slew of instuctors, inspectors, etc. to keep things honest all the time. Most of the problems arise on the road where the sims are often serviced by local technicians and remote support past that. Then the locals can only report back to the sim manufacturer, and then they investigate when they get a chance, and then if (and only if) there is a discrepancy with the data package, they will fix immediately. If not, they call me back for clarification. Of course by then I'm long gone for another year or so.

So the problem still lies with the sim manufacturers themselves. That's why I wish there was a bit of a push for some standardization.