PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft painting
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2013, 17:03
Sunfish

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
The only thing I know is that preparation and good foundations are the key to any paint job in any application, home, marine, aircraft, cars.

The build is getting Sherwin - Williams Strontium Chromate Two pack polyurethane primer.

That is going over Alodine for the little parts, or Sherwin - Williams wash primer for the bigger bits I can't dip.

The top coat will also be Sherwin - Williams, which will be applied by a professional using airless spray equipment.

The cost? Wash primer $245 per Gal. Polyurethane primer $500 per gal. However I have to say it sprays on like a dream and covers a multitude of my sins. The test panel I made shows it is as tough as nails and sticks like the proverbial.

I was reminded how good it is when I bought some Dulux rattle cans of primer and gloss from Bunnings to paint some 4130 steel parts. Talk about crap paint! They are now binned and I'm using Norglass marine primer and Two pack for the steelwork.

Most "structural" bits like doublers where water might pool and all dissimilar metal joints are sealed with AC240-B2 polysulphide rubber fuselage and fuel tank sealer (AKA "brown sh!t" in the old days at Ansett, and a pretty good description when you try to apply it)

Last edited by Sunfish; 21st Feb 2013 at 17:10.