PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2013, 13:51
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changes in attitudes

"Sorry, when did this change then?"

( I don't mean on PPRuNe, but there is a parallel meaning and call100, I think linked with the slight increase in "Stuffyness" I'm not manipulating your meaning but borrowing from it)

Its not a sudden thing but gradual. As soon as Airports ceased to have a civic role and became primarily profit centres, the viewer became secondary to the business of extracting as much as possible in an efficient way from the passengers travelling through the facility.

The advent of Lo-Co carriers has also played its part, but is I think a later factor - Remember the privatisation of Airlines would have been an imperative to reduce handling costs.

I do not mean municipal ownership in this way, per say. A council or councils could operate in exactly the same way. Likewise a company could if they wished, provide spectator facilities; as marketing plus to emphasise the value their facility to the (at the time) non travelling public.

Sadly the utilitarian premise of maximising the cash-flow from a facility prevails.

Last edited by Guest 112233; 21st Feb 2013 at 14:04.