PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris Interview on TV (merged - AGAIN!)
Old 21st Feb 2013, 12:22
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
if you call Blitz a crime (and I do), then you also have to point out crimes made by Allies.
By "Blitz" I assume you mean the Strategic Bombing of Enemy Cities? Fine, call it a crime if you wish, your prerogative. You might just as well go the whole way and call war a crime as I do, for technology has lifted wars out of the tidy battle fields of yore and dumped them into everyone's back yard. If you think that is a crime, then we are agreed that war is a crime in itself. So what? Nuremberg didn't accuse the Nazi regime of the individual components of war, but of launching aggressive war in the first place. That was its crime, plus of course the Holocaust, and the deliberate flouting of its duties to POWs and subjugated civilian populations. The Allied crime would have been to let such a barbaric and inhumane regime to survive for one more day than necessary.
So Eisenhower preferred to invade Japan rather than force a surrender by use of the Atomic Bombs? I had no idea...