PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 10th Feb 2003, 20:17
LRdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a different one..

Whats the best way to deal with a hot-shot F/O who has a hard time dealing with a younger (age-wise) captain?
Having spoken to the other captains of the company (all older) it seems I might have a issue I have to tackle at some point. I knew that I had to confront this having become a Bizjet captain at a young age, but am slightly unsure how the best way is to handle this. The guy in question is technically competant and usually makes good decisions as the flying pilot. But the plot is sometimes lost when something unexpected happens requiring a change in plan. This has resulted in me having to, as PIC, to tell him what to do. What has happened is that he tries to override(or question) me acting as if we are equal in the cockpit..
Also during debriefing about the different scenarios, he has a hard time accepting any constructive critique from myself (as a "captain-in-training" as FO's are, the assumption is that they should accept this as part of the deal..)
Coming from an instructional background and lots of experience in type, I do not "prompt" everything in the cockpit but let the FO's do their own thing, or ask them to tell me what the plan is if I need it. I have, as yet, not had to take over the airplane, as again, they are proficient guys. I'm just asking you older guys who have flown with your share of the good, bad and the ugly..

And yes, the person in question will know its about him when he reads this..