PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2013, 08:48
C1Melbourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commercial airlines in Australia and Asia: how old is too old?

Greetings.

First of all, I have not used this forum for more than four years, so I apologise in advance if I've committed a terrible sin like posting this thread in the wrong place.

I'm interested in hearing from anybody in the airline world who commenced professional pilot training between the ages of 30 and 35, and can tell me whether being over 30 puts one at a disadvantage in terms of securing decent jobs.

I'm almost 32 years old, have done about 14 hours of flying lessons in light aircraft and am completing a Law degree in about four months. I never did serious commercial pilot training in my 20s due to financial constraints, but for over ten years now it has been a persistent dream of mine to be a commercial airline pilot. Despite working for a number of years in a Government Department I loathe this world and want to leave to chase the dream.

I want to commence a CPL course during the next few months, however certain people over the years have tried to discourage me by telling me I'm too old to ever make it to a major airline. They tell me it's a waste of time, but I'm not convinced.

Is there anyone out there who has achieved success in their aviation career after starting serious training in their 30s?