PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2013, 08:43
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1helicopterppl: Thank you so much for identifying the craft in question. I had an inkling it was one of 'Summertime's' but wasn't 100% sure. You must have been familiar with the craft to be able to recognise her like that!

VFR/TRC .. Ciao!

Wiggy: Thanks for the info, in fact it helped reveal the identity of the second 206 from my Derby Day shots which turned out to be G-BAML and which wore a similar paint scheme to BAZN.

Longbox: BAZN/HELO was originally an 'A' model and, well, some of them sported pretty bleak instrument panels!

Savoia's mystery 206 uncovered:

Somerton-Rayner Helicopters Bell 206A (ugraded to a 'B' in 1982) G-BAZN Jet Ranger at the Bath and West Showground Shepton Mallet c. late 70's (Photo: Michael Jefferies)

BAZN is seen here emblazoned with 'Ski' stickers (which, if I remember correctly from my school days in the UK was a yoghurt). Also visible is her 'one piece' rear window as well as the tricolour fin-flash which I originally credited as an RAF device but have since been told that some Army aircraft also wore these. Summertime was of course ex-Army.

Another thing about the 'Rayner Rangers' was that Michael 'cropped' their fins by removing the uppermost portion of the vertical stabiliser giving them a somewhat 'Kiowan' appearance and which modification would have necessitated relocating the anti-collision beacon (although I can't see where on this photo). You'd be surprised how many 206's ran around the UK in the 70's without these beacons (or with unservicable becaons)!

Somerton-Rayner Helicopters Bell 206A G-BAML (also ugraded to a 'B' in 1982) at seen at Epsom Downs racecourse on 6th June 1979

BAML was an early model 206 (number 36 off Bell's production line) and, uniquely, was imported from the US in 1973 not by CSE but by Mann's. This was no doubt possible because she was imported as a used craft having previously flown as N7844S.

Last edited by Savoia; 21st Feb 2013 at 10:35. Reason: Rectifying a typographical anomaly!