PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Harris Interview on TV (merged - AGAIN!)
Old 21st Feb 2013, 08:27
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DC10RealMan
developed a radio aid called Naxos which they fitted to the Luftwaffe nightfighters and which homed into the transmissions of H2S resulting in increased causalities.
The all-seeing green eye can be terribly seductive. In training, even when not in use or there was nothing to see, we usually left it burning and turning. Had we gone to war we would have employed tight emcon, setting the computer to a predicted fix point, setting the radar to sector scan, switching on, fixing and to standby. At low level we may have left the radar at standby as the terrain was pretty flat unlike the terrain following practised in training.

At high level we had Fishpool, not particularly effective but worth a try once you were engaged.

During the war, did the young and inexperienced limit their use of H2S? Did they use Fishpond the whole time looking for that elusive and fleeting contact like a shooting star amongst the fixed returns from the bomber stream?