PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - are 3000 jet hours not enough for interview?
Old 21st Feb 2013, 08:15
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopelessly out of touch most of you. The choices for those entering this industry who want to fly for an airline are:

1.) To get raped by Big School Inc by paying €85,000 (€120,000+ after interest) for ab-initio training and then through the Big School Inc connections hopefully get a job (most do)

2.) Go modular paying in the region of €40-50,000 and then SSTR + hours

Option 1 doesn't work for those with family/financial commitments because they can't train part time or can't provide the loan security.

Option 2 exists to make it a level playing field as those who go for Option 1 get first shot at most job opportunities with the big airlines.

And I second the comment above. This industry is full of talentless super-ego maniacs who are only in their position because of nepotism or connections. This is as big a cancer in aviation so don't talk about P2Fers not "deserving a flying job"! Most P2F guys have endured years of suffering before making the move. It's not as black and white as you might think. To let opportunity after opportunity go and see the situation get worse and to not have a single interview opportunity for almost 4 years after graduating results in drastic and desperate measures.

We're not all spoilt little brats with daddy's cash to spend. This is a fantasy that those of you who can't afford to P2F would love to believe. I, like most committed pilots worked my ass off to get to where I am and the only way that was possible was to do something someone else wasn't prepared to do. That is the reality of life my friends and this is coming from someone who used to lecture others about the evils of P2F.